Nakanoshima Park is a small park located under the Aioi Bridge and is a water park that is flooded by water from the Sumida River (Harumi Canal) at high tide and also by waves from houseboats. Originally it was completely an island, but now the area under the bridge has been reclaimed and is connected to the Etchujima area.
Sumida River at dusk. You can see a houseboat and a high-rise apartment in front.
This Nakanoshima Park was opened to the public as a water park after the reconstruction of Aioi Bridge in 1927. Aioi Bridge itself was a famous place for moon viewing, and Nakanoshima Park was also very crowded, but due to water pollution, the number of visitors decreased, and the park was closed in 1973.
In 1980, when the water quality improved, a tidal pond whose water level changes with the ebb and flow of the tide and a pier connecting the north and south sides of the island were built, and the park was reopened to the public as a place for fishing and enjoying the cool evening air from a good vantage point.
This photo was taken from the Aioi Bridge. The right side is Tokyo Bay downstream.
Nakanoshima Park is an island that served as a relay point when the Aioi Bridge was built between Etchujima and Tsukuda Island in 1903.
At that time, two wooden bridges, Aioi Ohashi on the Tsukudokushima side and Aioi Kobashi on the Etchujima side, were built from Nakanoshima, but they were burnt down by an earthquake in 1923 (192/3). In 1923, they were destroyed by fire in an earthquake.
In 1927, after the reconstruction of the Aioi Bridge, Nakanoshima Island was developed as the only water park on the Sumida River.
At that time, it was very crowded because of its rarity.
Aioi-bashi Bridge was also said to be a famous place for moon-viewing since it was a wooden bridge. Later, the number of visitors to Nakanoshima Park decreased due to the pollution of the Sumida River, and the park was temporarily closed in 1973.
However, in 1980, when the quality of the water was improved, a tidal pond (Tidal Pond), which is filled with water from the Sumida River and changes its water level according to the ebb and flow of the tide, and a ferry bridge connecting the north and south sides of the island were constructed. The park was reopened as a park with a good view where people can enjoy fishing and cool down in the evening.
The Nakanoshima Park has been newly developed with the replacement of the Aioi Bridge, including the planting of hagi (Japanese cedar) and silver grass.
Nakanoshima Park and the Merchant Marine College and Meiji Maru were selected as one of the Eight Views of Koto by a vote of the residents of the ward in 1988.
April 2000 (2000)
The bridge in front is Aioi Bridge. The left side is Tokyo Bay downstream.
This is under the Aioi Bridge. It’s a stable enough column, but we have to walk carefully…
At the mouth of the river where the river flows into the sea, the river is affected by the ebb and flow of the tide, and the surface of the sea rises and falls. There is a pond in Nakanoshima Park, which is called a tidal pond because the water level changes under the influence of the tide, in other words, it can sense the ebb and flow of the tide.