Kaneiji Temple is the Kanto headquarters of the Tendai sect of Buddhism, founded by the third Tokugawa shogun, Iemitsu.

In the Kan’eiji Cemetery, the mausoleum of the Tokugawa family, six of the fifteen successive shoguns are buried.

Almost the entire area of today’s Ueno Park was once the precincts of Kan’eiji Temple, and at the time it was twice the size of Ueno Park.

The current Tokyo National Museum is the site of the Kan’eiji Main Hall, and the museum’s large fountain plaza is the site of the Nemoto-chudo Hall.

Most of the temple buildings were lost during the Shogitai Battle (Ueno War) and World War II. Some of the remains, such as the five-story pagoda of the former Kan-eiji Temple, which survived the war, still remain in Ueno Park.

The Kiyomizu Kannon-do (Important Cultural Property), located near the statue of Takamori Saigo in Ueno Park, was modeled after Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto.


NameKaneiji Temple
HoursNot subject to
residence1-14-11 Uenosakuragi, Taito-ku, Tokyo
Telephone number03-3821-1259


5 minutes walk from the South Exit of Uguisudani Station on Yamanote Line and Keihin Tohoku Line.


Similar Posts